Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Light of the World

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl.  Instead, they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:14-16

Right off the bat I am going to confess that summer is not my favorite time of the year.  A strong dislike for hot weather gives me good reason to be very appreciative of air conditioning, swimming pools, ice cream, ice cold tea and refreshing lemonade.  It seems that I enjoy everything about summer except the heat!
In order to keep the house relatively cool and the electric bill lower during the hot weather, most of the blinds and curtains are usually closed, causing an absence of light.   This absence of light coming into my home is something that I really miss when it’s not there.  There’s just something about the presence of light that seems to give me more energy and alertness.  Some people have no problem sitting in a darkened house; I’m just not one of them.
Darkness is the absence of light, but think about God’s light for a moment.  In John 8:12, we read the following: “When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”  God’s light will never be hidden from the world if we walk in obedience to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  It is God’s plan for His light to always outshine the darkness.  When we allow the Holy Spirit to become a living presence in us, we cannot help but exhibit the change that has taken place in our hearts.  Others may not know it, but they are witnessing first-hand the light of Jesus shining through us.  Our darkness has been replaced by His radiant light!
Are you sitting in darkness today?  In contrast, are you spreading the light of Jesus to others?  What a wonderful privilege we have to become the hands, feet, and voice of our Savior.  What an awesome responsibility we have to bring His light into the world--a light that cannot be hidden (Matthew 5:14-16 above).  Be sure to let your “little light shine” as we read the words to the song written by Harry Dixon Loes that so many of us learned as children.

                                        This Little Light of Mine  

This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.

Hide it under a bushel? No!
I'm gonna let it shine
Hide it under a bushel? No!
I'm gonna let it shine
Hide it under a bushel? No!
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.

Don't let Satan blow it out,
I'm gonna let it shine
Don't let Satan blow it out,
I'm gonna let it shine
Don't let Satan blow it out,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.

Let it shine til Jesus comes,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine til Jesus comes,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine til Jesus comes,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, we thank you for the light of Jesus Christ in our lives.  Help each one of us to spread that Light to others who are in need of encouragement, hope and comfort.  May we always shine for you in all that we say and do.  Lead us as we tell others the wonderful news of your Son, Jesus.   It is in His name that I pray.  Amen.
           
Additional Scriptures for Reflection:
The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day.”  Proverbs 4:18
 “so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe.”  Philippians 2:15
Note:  All scripture references are taken from the New International Version (NIV) of the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment