Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Prayer of Jabez


“Now Jabez was more honorable than his brothers, and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, "Because I bore him in pain." And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, "Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!" So God granted him what he requested.  I Chronicles 4:9-10 NKJV
 
"Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." James 4:8a NKJV 

Prayer is our intimate conversations with God. I Chronicles 4:9-10 is often called The Prayer of Jabez.  Jabez is only mentioned one time in the Bible and it is in these two verses of scripture where we find the accounting of his petition to God.  Because God granted Jabez his request, we can rest assured that we will be able to experience the same effect of God's power in our lives as Jabez did.  When we have the heart of God, we are humbled in our asking and that touches His heart.   

When we seek God, He has promised to draw near to us. What a joyful experience to know His intimate presence throughout every hour of our day.   Our only motive and desire should be to exhibit more of the character of Jesus, so that we are better equipped to share His love with others as the Holy Spirit leads. 

PRAYER:  Father God, thank you for this example of Jabez; a man who stepped out in true faith believing that You were more than able to honor his request. Thank you for this man who had a large concept of who You are and who honored You by seeking Your blessing.  Thank you for honoring his prayer because he sought You. Strengthen each of us to follow the example of Jabez.  This I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment