Friday, July 6, 2012

Resting Place

"For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day." 2 Timothy 1:12 (NKJV)

"Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest."  Matthew 11:28  (NLT)

"For I have given rest to the weary and joy to the sorrowing." Jeremiah 31:25 (NLT)

This past Sunday, while on vacation in Canada, we attended a wonderful church service with our friends. The song, "My Faith Has found A Resting Place" was one of the songs we sang. It is an old hymn that I had not heard in many years.

Little is known about either the author of the hymn text, Lidie, H. Edmunds, or the source of the tune other than that it is an old Norwegian melody. The hymn in its present form first appeared in the hymnal Songs of Joy and Gladness, published in 1891. (Source: Amazing Grace, 366 Inspiring Hymn Stories for Daily Devotions.)

The words of this song are the foundation upon which I base my faith.  The words to the chorus say, "I need no other argument, I need no other plea. It is enough that Jesus died and that He died for me." This fact alone is enough for all Christians to rest their faith upon. 

Our faith can find a resting place when we are weary and carrying heavy burdens.  In the midst of trials and suffering we are able to find our rest in Jesus. During tough times, by leaning on the written Word of God, we have the assurance that nothing more is needed.  Our anchor in Christ will hold steady through these times of difficulty. 

Has your faith found a resting place?  Is it enough that Jesus died, and that He died for you?  My prayer today is that this song will testify of your faith in God and that you have already asked Jesus Christ to be your Savior and Lord. 

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for being all that we need.  Thank You for loving us unconditionally.  Our faith is based on the sacrifice that Jesus made for each of us on the cross, believing that He died for our sins, and accepting Him as our Lord and Savior. Because we believe this and as we lean on Your written Word, give us wisdom and strength so that we might be good representatives of what it means to be a Christian.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment