Thursday, September 20, 2012

Be Still My Soul



“Be still and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10

I LOVE MUSIC! It speaks to me in many ways. It refreshes me and calms my soul. Music makes me happy and joyful, lifts my spirits, and heals any hurt that I might be experiencing at any given time.

Because classical music is something that my husband and I enjoy, for a number of years we held season tickets to the local symphony. Once a month, we looked forward to dressing up, going to dinner, and then spending a relaxing evening at the symphony. It was always exciting to see and hear such talented musicians who were affiliated with the symphony, as well as an array of wonderful guest soloists.  Symphonic music has always been much better than a tranquilizer for me!  And, yet, there is another type of music that motivates my soul in ways that cause me to be amazed and extremely thankful. 

More often than not, much of the inspiration that I receive to write my blog comes as a result of a lyric and/or melody of a Christian song. Most of the time, the melody is secondary to the lyric, because words and their meaning are very powerful. Whether the song is an old hymn that I have known since childhood, or a much “younger” contemporary Christian song, music always offers inspiration and strength in my walk of faith in Jesus Christ.   

The song and beautiful slide show which is posted above entitled, “Be Still My Soul”, sung by Amy Grant, spoke to me tonight. In fact, it caused me to stop what I was doing and led me to focus totally on God.  And, the neatest thing happened! In the stillness of thinking about what an awesome God I serve, focusing on His many attributes, the blessings given so lovingly to me and to my family, and my desire to be all that He wants me to be, my soul was refreshed and renewed.  I was reminded that in my busy days, extra effort should be made to use my time more wisely for Him--to keep singing His songs. 

How is your soul doing tonight?  Are you so rushed and distracted with the things of the world, that you don’t give God the time He deserves?  Of all the things I may or may not know about Him, the one thing that I do know is that He overwhelmingly loves you and me! He created us in His image. He wants to spend time with each of us so that we might know Him and our Savior, Jesus Christ more fully.  He desires a relationship with us like that of a father to a child.  He wants an intimacy with us that will only come when we are still before Him.  He won’t force any of us to come to Him, but if we do, we will find peace, safety, deep joy, and true happiness that will fulfill us not only for the present time, but for eternity.  His love is boundless.  Tonight, why not take time to be still before God.  Think on Him.  Talk to Him. Abide in Him.  He’s there and He is waiting with open arms. 

PRAYER:  Father God, we love You and are so thankful for the opportunity to be still before You.  To know that You are God.  You alone are worthy of our praise.  Thank You for music that soothes our souls. Thank You for songs of faith that lift our hearts and give us inspiration.  Thank You for those who were inspired to write these songs.  In these perilous times in which we live, please reach the world with Your Son, Your Spirit, Your Word, Your music, and Christlike love which can only be exhibited through those of us who profess Jesus Christ to be our Savior and Lord.  I pray this His name, the name above all names. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment