Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Shelter Me




 
Have you ever been caught in a situation where you needed to find shelter? A long hike, a thunderstorm approaching, not being familiar with your location and a bit of anxiety would certainly be one situation in which physical shelter would be needed. Seeking shelter would be the logical thing to do in order to find proection against the approaching storm.

I first heard the song, "Shelter Me" by Bruce Carroll a few weeks ago as I was listening to Pandora Internet Radio. It really struck a chord with me because many times in my own life I have needed to find shelter from the storms that raged around me. Thankfully, I have always been able to have physical shelter--a safe place that I call home. Rather, my need at times has been to find spiritual shelter. Sometimes, I wandered out in the storm before seeking the familiar shelter that I know all too well. But, eventually, I would round the bend in the road and there it was--a beautiful sight--a place to rest and be safe and comforted. My personal shelter. 

On the many occasions that I have desperately sought the comfort and shelter of God's presence, I have never been disappointed. His Word gives me hope and strength and peace. I am so thankful for this! The deep love that I have for my heavenly Father and for Jesus Christ, my Savior has made such a difference in how I handle difficult situations. The ability to go to Him in prayer and share my hurts and fears gives me the assurance that He is listening and that He answers according to His will for my life and for those around me.  

If you feel the need to seek God's shelter due to situations that are presently surrounding you, or if there are circumstances in your life that seem to be beyond your control, just remember that you have a Savior--Jesus Christ, who wants to bring you peace and hope. He will shelter you from any storm that you may face now or in the future because He specializes in calming the storms. 

PRAYER:  Father God, thank You for sheltering us from the storms of life.  Through Jesus, we have the ability to rest safely in the Shepherd’s arms at all times.  Help us to trust You always, knowing that You love us beyond comprehension.  I pray this in Jesus name.  Amen.  

“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” Psalm 46:1

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me!  For my soul trusts in You; And in the shadow of Your wings I will take my refuge, until these calamities have passed by.  Psalm 55:1 (NKJV) 

A Shelter In The Time of Storm

The Lord’s our Rock, in Him we hide,
A Shelter in the time of storm;
Secure whatever ill betide,
A Shelter in the time of storm.
Oh, Jesus is a Rock in a weary land,
A weary land, a weary land;
Oh, Jesus is a Rock in a weary land,
A Shelter in the time of storm.
A shade by day, defense by night,
A Shelter in the time of storm;
No fears alarm, no foes afright,
A Shelter in the time of storm.
The raging storms may round us beat,
A Shelter in the time of storm
We’ll never leave our safe retreat,
A Shelter in the time of storm.
O Rock divine, O Refuge dear,
A Shelter in the time of storm;
Be Thou our Helper ever near,
A Shelter in the time of storm.
Words: Vernon J. Charlesworth, circa 1880
Music: Ira D. Sankey, circa 1885 
 
 *It was said that this was a fav­o­rite song of the fish­er­man on the northern coast of Eng­land, and they were oft­en heard sing­ing it as they ap­proached their har­bors in the time of storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment