Sunday, June 15, 2014

A Priceless Gift


 
  “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my Word that goes out from My mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for   which                            I sent it.” Isaiah 55:9-11  
 
On May 11, 1960, a man and his wife walked into a 5th grade classroom in a small East Texas town and presented each student with a Gideon New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs, much like the ones that are distributed by Gideons and Auxiliary members today. That was 54 years ago, and I was one of those students! What I remember most about that day, was how kind the man and his wife were to the students. I remember their smiles and the love that was shown toward us as clearly as if it happened a few short days ago. John, Chapter 13, verse 35 says the following: "By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." I now know that it was Christ’s love this Gideon and his wife were exhibiting so well.

 The pictures shown above are of that same Testament. It’s pretty worn out, but I’m so happy that I still have it. In the back of the Testament, I entered handwritten scripture references for the Plan of Salvation as that Gideon member took time to share these key verses with the students. The Testaments and Bibles distributed today by Gideon and Auxiliary members have this information already printed on the back cover for the recipients.
   
Never in my wildest dreams would I have envisioned that one day the Lord would lead my husband and me into this ministry, and that even though I wouldn’t be able to go into school classrooms to share God’s Word, there would be many opportunities, in various other ways, to do my part in making a difference in the lives of men, women, boys and girls.  The ministry of the Gideons and Auxiliary holds a special place in my heart, and I am so thankful that I have the physical reminder that someone cared enough to share God’s Word with me—a little country girl, who a year later, gave her heart to Jesus Christ for all eternity. We should never underestimate the power of God’s Word when the Holy Spirit is leading us to place it in the hands of others.  His Word will not return void, and I am living proof of the verses of scripture found in Isaiah 55:9-11.
Prayer:  Dear Lord, thank You for the ministry of The Gideons International--a ministry located in 197 countries around the world with one singular purpose of winning men, women, boys and girls to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. Thank you for using a Gideon and Auxiliary member to make a difference in my life 54 years ago. Help me to listen for the still small voice of the Holy Spirit as I strive to live for You  in complete obedience. Thank you for the many opportunities of sharing Your Word. Go with me as I tell others what a difference Jesus Christ has made in my life. Help me to radiate His love and hope to those I encounter through divine appointments. Transform me by Your love so that I might pass it on to others in Your name. To You be all glory, honor and praise.  In Jesus name, I pray this prayer.  Amen.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment