Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Self-Doubt: You Can Overcome It

"But Lord,' Gideon asked, 'how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.'" Judges 6:15 (NIV)
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.” 2 Corinthians 12:9 (NIV)
Like Gideon, many of us have doubts about what we can accomplish for the Lord.  It is easy to come up with varying excuses instead of being an active participant in where God is leading us and what He wants to do in and through us.  Self-doubt will hold us back from being all that God wants us to be. For many years, I struggled with that very thing, having little confidence that God could use me in any way. I found excuses, just as Gideon did. Eventually, over time and through various experiences, God brought me to the realization that there is nothing I am capable of doing on my own, but that with Christ living in me, I can accomplish much.  One of my favorite scriptures Philippians 4:13 says the following: “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”  (NIV)  He is my strength!  And yours!!
How then can we rid ourselves of doubting our usefulness to the Kingdom of God?  By focusing on what God thinks about us, instead of what we think about ourselves. Day by day, as we communicate with God through prayer and the study of His Word, God will help us overcome our doubts and fears.  It is He who goes before us, carving out the path we should take.  Our job is to allow the Holy Spirit to lead and give direction.  We will then have the knowledge and assurance that we are not alone in our walk of faith and that God does have a plan for us as we reach out to others and strive to do His will.  We are called to be the hands, feet, and voice of Jesus Christ as we live out our faith. Remember, His strength is made perfect in our weakness. He will give each of us the confidence that we need for a productive day of serving Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment