Sunday, April 29, 2012

We've Come This Far

“So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.” I Peter 4:19 

“Humble yourselves therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.” I Peter 5:6-7 

Tonight, in the quiet of my little writing room, I am finishing my BSF Bible study lessons for the week. This week’s lesson focuses on the book of I Peter. Within the contents of these five chapters of scripture, there are many references and themes regarding trials and sufferings that we as Christians will undergo. 

The book of I Peter teaches us that these times come to make us stronger and to strengthen our trust in God. It is through the tough times that our faith will grow, if we will allow that growth. One thing that I am certain of is that God did not bring us this far to leave us. So, by faith we keep moving forward leaning on our Lord and trusting that He always knows what is best for us.

Today at church, some friends and I were talking about how many hurting people there are in our own little circles. Multiply that number by scores of others who are not personally known to us, and on every hand there are hurting people. Some are suffering from illnesses. Still others are discouraged, depressed, stressed, anxious, and lost in a feeling of hopelessness. Others are out of work and desperately need employment. Some are spiritually lost and have no direction for their lives. I am praying that the latter will seek a personal relationship with Jesus Christ for the guidance that they need. So, everywhere we look, there is pain and sorrow and suffering. That fact alone might be depressing if that were the end of the story. Thankfully, it is not! 

If you are reading this blog and your circumstance(s) fit into one of the categories mentioned above, please be assured that God knows your heart, hears your cries, and sees your needs. He has not abandoned you. He walks beside you through these times of uncertainty. Call on Him. He hears, He listens, and He answers. Take heart, dear ones. God is not finished with you yet.  

The song posted below is a simple song. It is entitled, “We’ve Come This Far by Faith.” I have been singing it for over a week waiting for an opportunity to write these words. My heart and my prayers are with my family and friends and all others who need encouragement and the assurance that the gentle Shepherd walks beside them at this very moment.  

Prayer: Dear Lord, we love You with all of our hearts. Be with each person reading this blog tonight. Stay near to those who are hurting. We thank You in the name of Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment